BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Wales  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Sunday, 10 November, 2002, 10:44 GMT
Wales pays tribute to war dead
Chelsea Pensioners
Ceremonies are taking place across Britain
Remembrance services are being held throughout Wales in tribute to those killed in action.

First Minister Rhodri Morgan will be joined by the Presiding Officer of the Welsh Assembly, Lord Elis-Thomas, as wreaths are laid at Llandaff Cathedral in Cardiff.

Field of crosses
A field of crosses remembered the dead

At the cenetaph in Cathays Park in Cardiff's civic centre, there will be a march past by military and former service personnel, led by the bands of the Royal Welsh Regiment and the Salvation Army.

Meanwhile the Royal British Legion is urging people throughout Wales to respect a two minute silence on Monday as well - as 11 November is the actual Remembrance Day anniversary.

The Queen is due to lead up to 10,000 people in Remembrance Sunday tribute at the annual march and wreath-laying at the Cenotaph in central London.

Amid heightened security, war veterans and representatives from civilian organisations will join the Queen and Prime Minister Tony Blair for the ceremony honouring British and Commonwealth war dead.

Falklands

It begins at 1035 GMT and includes the traditional two-minute silence at 1100, expected to be observed at other commemorative events and church services across the country.

Those who fought in the Falklands Islands conflict will have a special place at the London event as this year marks the 20th anniversary.

Members of South Atlantic Medal Association will lead the parade of almost 7,000 veterans.

Ahead of the ceremony, controversy was threatened when it emerged many elderly war veterans faced being on their feet for four hours.

Poppy appeal
The poppy appeal aims to raise £22m this year

But on Saturday a compromise was reached between the Royal British Legion and the Lord Chancellor's Department, meaning an extra 60 seats would be provided.

A spokesman for the Royal British Legion said: "It has been possible to provide some seating for those who need a rest at the end of the parade."

A spokeswoman for the Lord Chancellor's department, which organises the ceremony at the Cenotaph, said other improvements had been made.

Large screens have been installed for the ceremony and there will be speakers along the route of the march, which is organised by the Royal British Legion.

Falklands pilgrimage

Meanwhile the Duke of York is leading Remembrance Sunday commemorations 8,000 miles from his mother on the Falkland Islands.

Prince Andrew - who served as a helicopter pilot in the 1982 war - is attending a Sunday service and wreath-laying in the capital, Stanley, along with 200 Falklands veterans on a pilgrimage.

Sunday's services follows the Festival of Remembrance, at London's Royal Albert Hall on Saturday night.

The event was attended by a host of dignitaries, including the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh as well as Mr Blair and his wife Cherie.

Armistice Day

The festival, also organised by the Royal British Legion and broadcast on BBC One and Radio 2, was expected to have attracted an audience of about eight million.

On Monday many people are expected to observe another two minute silence at 1100 GMT, marking Armistice Day and the end of World War I.

The Royal British Legion is continuing its campaign to have the silence reinstated in the national calendar.

Meanwhile its Poppy Appeal aims this year to raise £22m to fund welfare and resettlement work for 5.5 million ex-service men and women and their 7.5 million dependants.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Richard Lister
"The absence of the Queen Mother will be keenly felt"
Royal British Legion's National Chairman Ian Cannell
"This is a great national occasion"

In remembrance

FROM THE ARCHIVE

OTHER BBCI SITES

INTERNET LINKS
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes