BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: N Ireland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Sunday, 10 November, 2002, 11:50 GMT
NI honours war dead
David Trimble lays a wreath at the Cenotaph
David Trimble lays a wreath at the Cenotaph
Ceremonies marking Remembrance Sunday have taken place throughout Northern Ireland.

In Belfast, the procession from the City Hall to the Cenotaph began at 1040 GMT.

Dozens of crimson wreaths were laid at the steps to the Cenotaph.

Church representatives, the High Sheriff of Belfast and Northern Ireland Office minister Des Browne attended the ceremony.
Des Browne: Attended Belfast ceremony
Des Browne: Attended Belfast ceremony

In addition, several hundred members of the public came to pay their respects.

Representatives from the Canadian, United States and French Governments were among the first to lay their wreaths after the two minutes' silence.

After that, line after line of men and women laid wreaths on behalf of organisations such as the St John Ambulance, Royal Mail staff and the Fire Authority of Northern Ireland.

In Londonderry, SDLP Mayor Kathleen McCloskey attended a wreath laying ceremony at the war memorial at the Diamond.

The Queen led up to 10,000 people in Remembrance Sunday tribute at the annual march and wreath-laying at the Cenotaph in central London.

Amid heightened security, war veterans and representatives from civilian organisations joined the Queen and Prime Minister Tony Blair for the ceremony honouring British and Commonwealth war dead.

It began at 1035 GMT and included the traditional two-minute silence at 1100, which was observed at other commemorative events and church services across the country.

Ulster Unionist leader David Trimble laid a wreath at the Cenotaph on behalf of his party.

Those who fought in the Falkland Islands conflict had a special place at the London event as this year marks the 20th anniversary.

Members of South Atlantic Medal Association led the parade of almost 7,000 veterans.

Extra seating

Ahead of the ceremony, controversy was threatened when it emerged many elderly war veterans faced being on their feet for four hours.

But on Saturday a compromise was reached between the Royal British Legion and the Lord Chancellor's Department, meaning an extra 60 seats would be provided.

Poppy appeal
The poppy appeal aims to raise £22m this year
A spokesman for the Royal British Legion said: "It has been possible to provide some seating for those who need a rest at the end of the parade."

A spokeswoman for the Lord Chancellor's department, which organises the ceremony at the Cenotaph, said other improvements had been made.

Large screens were installed for the ceremony and there were speakers along the route of the march, which was organised by the Royal British Legion.

Falklands pilgrimage

Meanwhile, the Duke of York led Remembrance Sunday commemorations 8,000 miles away on the Falkland Islands.

Prince Andrew - who served as a helicopter pilot in the 1982 war - is attending a Sunday service and wreath-laying in the capital, Stanley, along with 200 Falklands veterans on a pilgrimage.

Sunday's services follows the Festival of Remembrance, at London's Royal Albert Hall on Saturday night.

The event was attended by a host of dignitaries, including the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh as well as Mr Blair and his wife Cherie.

Armistice Day

The festival, also organised by the Royal British Legion and broadcast on BBC One and Radio 2, was expected to have attracted an audience of about eight million.

On Monday, many people are expected to observe another two minute silence at 1100 GMT, marking Armistice Day and the end of World War I.

The Royal British Legion is continuing its campaign to have the silence reinstated in the national calendar.

Meanwhile, its Poppy Appeal aims this year to raise £22m to fund welfare and resettlement work for 5.5 million ex-service men and women and their 7.5 million dependants.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC NI's Maggie Swarbrick:
"Representatives for the Canadian, United States and French governments were among the first to lay their wreaths"
The BBC's Richard Lister
"The absence of the Queen Mother will be keenly felt"
BBC Northern Ireland
remembers the war dead from the north and south of Ireland
BBC NI's Maggie Swarbrick:
"Line after line of men and women laid wreaths"

In remembrance

FROM THE ARCHIVE

OTHER BBCI SITES

INTERNET LINKS
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more N Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more N Ireland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes