Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, December 27, 1998 Published at 12:49 GMT


World: Middle East

Israel discusses rocket attack

Israel has vowed revenge for the rocket attacks

The Israeli cabinet is meeting to discuss the latest violence in the occupied strip of southern Lebanon.

The talks follow a week of attacks and reprisals by the Israeli air force and Hezbollah guerrillas.


[ image:  ]
Correspondents say public pressure is mounting for Israeli troops to pull out because of the increasing numbers of casualties.

But Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has denied reports there will be a unilateral withdrawal before the forthcoming general elections.

Last Tuesday a Lebanese woman and six of her children were killed in an air strike in the Bekaa Valley. Israel apologised for what it called a ''fatal error''.

But Hezbollah guerrillas retaliated the following day, firing dozens of rockets into northern Israel. The missiles fell on Kiryat Shemona and western Galillee injuring several people.

Mr Netanyahu vowed Israel would respond to the attacks after touring the damaged area.

"We can't let this pass quietly. We will react according to our considerations, when we want. And we will react," he added.

Lebanon worried by threats

The UN monitoring force says civilians are taking Mr Netanyahu's warning very seriously. Unlike the Israelis, the Lebanese have no civil defence to protect them from attack.

It says 28 Lebanese civilians have been killed by Israel this year - despite a ceasefire agreement supposed to protect them.

Israel set up a self-styled "security zone" in the south of the country in 1985 to try to shield its northern towns from cross-border attacks.

The Iranian-backed Hezbollah, or Party of God, is leading a guerrilla war to try to oust Israeli soldiers from Lebanon.

Israel said last week's air strike was intended for a reported Hezbollah training camp.

But a UN spokesman said the woman's house was hundreds of miles from the Israeli border and there was no military activity nearby.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

24 Dec 98 | Middle East
Lebanese concern at Israeli threats

23 Dec 98 | Middle East
Netanyahu: A turning point for Israel

03 Dec 98 | Middle East
'Victory or martyrdom': Hezbollah speaks out

27 Nov 98 | Middle East
Netanyahu: 'Lebanon responsible for attacks'

01 Apr 98 | Middle East
History of Israel's role in Lebanon





Internet Links


Israel Government

Lebanese Parliament

Hezbollah


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform