Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, December 27, 1998 Published at 08:33 GMT


World: Europe

Requiem for Chechen hostages

Kidnapping has flourished amid the anarchy in Chechnya

A requiem service for three Britons and a New Zealander who were beheaded by their kidnappers in Chechnya is to be held in the capital, Grozny.

The service, at a Russian Orthodox Church, follows the discovery of four bodies on the outskirts of the capital on Friday.


Allan Little: "The bodies will be returned as soon as possible"
Chechen presidential spokesman Mairbek Vachagaev was quoted by the Itar-Tass news agency as saying the bodies would be returned to Britain within days.

A spokesman for the UK Foreign Office said he could not confirm the report.

"There are so many rumours flying about that we cannot comment on anything until we have checked the reports out ourselves," he said.


[ image: The four victims were installing a mobile phone network]
The four victims were installing a mobile phone network
The decapitated heads of the four men - Darren Hickey, Peter Kennedy, Rudolph Petschi and Stanley Shaw - were discovered by a roadside on 8 December.

One unconfirmed report said they had been killed after a bungled attempt to rescue them. Another report said they were murdered after a dispute between rival kidnap gangs over the share of a ransom from another kidnap.

The Chechen authorities say they have arrested a man, named as Abti Abitayev, whom they describe as the mastermind behind the abduction and that information he is supplying should lead to the arrest of other members of the kidnap gang.

But the BBC correspondent in Moscow, Allan Little says that clamping down on one gang is only part of an uphill battle in a hopelessly lawless area.

Kidnapping commonplace

The four men - employed by the UK firm Granger Telecom - were installing a mobile phone network for the Chechen government. A gang of 20 gunmen abducted them in October after a fierce battle in Grozny.

The UK Government described the murders as "repugnant."

Law and order in Chechnya has virtually broken down and foreigners working there have become lucrative targets for kidnap gangs.

However, while kidnapping is commonplace and hundreds locals have been killed, they were the first foreign hostages to lose their lives.

Other kidnap victim released

In another development, a Russian police officer seized in June is reported to have been released in exchange for a Chechen prisoner in Russia.

Sergei Khalansky's kidnappers had demanded a large ransom. His release was negotiated by the governor of the Siberian region of Krasnoyarsk, Alexander Lebed.

Mr Lebed - a former general and potential presidential candidate - was instrumental in the negotiations in 1996 that ended Chechnya's war for independence from Russia and since then has helped secure the release of other Russian hostages.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

26 Dec 98 | UK
Families wait over Chechnya bodies

22 Dec 98 | Europe
Hostage remains handover delayed

09 Dec 98 | World
Manhunt for hostage killers

08 Dec 98 | Europe
Background: Kidnap capital of the world

05 Oct 98 | Europe
Chechnya: The hard path to statehood





Internet Links


Chechen Republic Online


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift