![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, December 27, 1998 Published at 16:01 GMT World: Asia-Pacific Fourth Chinese dissident jailed ![]() Hong Kong activists have sent 4,000 Christmas cards to jailed dissidents A veteran Chinese labour-rights activist has reportedly been sentenced to 10 years for giving interviews to a radio station funded by the United States.
Human rights campaigners said Mr Zhang was accused of threatening national security after he gave information about farmers' protests to Radio Free Asia.
The court also stripped Mr Zhang of his political rights for five years after his release, according to reports. The New York based group, Human Rights in China, said the activist was accused of "illegally providing intelligence to overseas enemy organisations and people".
Beijing considers the network hostile to communist rule and blocks its broadcasts. In June it refused to grant visas to its reporters to cover President Bill Clinton's visit to China.
He had previously served a seven year sentence after he was arrested in a nationwide crackdown following the demonstrations in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989.
International outcry His trial follows those of Xu Wenli, Qin Yongmin and Wang Youcai, three of China's most prominent dissidents. They were sentenced this week to 13, 12 and 11 years respectively for trying to establish the China Democracy Party to challenge communist rule.
The trials have sparked worldwide condemnation with the US calling the sentences deplorable. But the Chinese authorities have warned they will continue to take a tough line and dismissed the criticism as foreign interference. 'We'll nip subversion in the bud' The crackdown comes just 11 weeks after China signed the United Nations International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights which guarantees freedom of speech. But President Jiang Zemin said last week that subversive activities would be "nipped in the bud" and said China would never tolerate Western-style democracy. Shortly after the warning, China targeted the arts and entertainment industries, mandating harsh punishments for those found guilty of "inciting to subvert state power". The new rules cover writing, music, movies, television, video recordings and computer software, outlawing material that "endangers social order".
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||