Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, December 25, 1998 Published at 14:39 GMT


World: Asia-Pacific

Fourth Chinese dissident on trial

Human rights groups have been angered by the trials

A Chinese dissident is to stand trial for endangering state security just days after three prominent activists were jailed, provoking international outcry.

If convicted, Zhang Shanguang could face the death penalty, according to human rights campaigners.

The labour rights activist is reportedly accused of telling foreign organisations about human rights abuses and farmers' protests.


[ image: Mr Jiang was jailed after the Tiananmen Square protests]
Mr Jiang was jailed after the Tiananmen Square protests
Mr Zhang, 45, was detained five months ago after he tried to set up a pressure group to help laid-off workers.

The dissident, who has already served seven years for labour rights campaigning, is due to go on trial on Sunday in Huaihua city in Hunan province.

Human Rights in China, a New York-based group, said Mr Zhang was accused of "illegally providing intelligence to overseas enemy organisations and people".

Under China's criminal code, offenders are usually sent to prison, but the court can apply the death penalty if it deems that national interests were seriously endangered.

Mr Zhang's wife, Hou Xuezhu, said her husband in March had told Radio Free Asia - which is funded by the US Government - about taxes charged to Chinese farmers.

She said he had done nothing to break the law and called for his release.

Mr Zhang was originally jailed after a nationwide crackdown that followed the crushing of demonstrations in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989.


[ image: Mr Jiang has vowed to get tough]
Mr Jiang has vowed to get tough
His new trial follows those of Xu Wenli, Qin Yongmin and Wang Youcai, three of China's most prominent dissidents.

They were sentenced this week to 13, 12 and 11 years respectively for trying to establish the China Democracy Party to challenge communist rule.

Their convictions sparked immediate worldwide condemnation with the US calling the sentences deplorable.

But the Chinese authorities warned they would continue to take a tough line and dismissed the criticism as foreign interference.

The crackdown comes just 11 weeks after China signed the United Nations International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights which guarantees freedom of speech.

But President Jiang Zemin warned last week that subversive activities would be "nipped in the bud" and said China would never tolerate Western-style democracy.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

21 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Analysis: Beijing Spring turns wintry

22 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
China rejects trials outcry

20 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Chinese dissident freed

05 Oct 98 | Asia-Pacific
China signs key human rights treaty

06 Sep 98 | Asia-Pacific
West believes China is changing





Internet Links


Human Rights in China

China.com

Amnesty International: China 1998


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Indonesia rules out Aceh independence

DiCaprio film trial begins

Millennium sect heads for the hills

Uzbekistan voices security concerns

From Business
Chinese imports boost US trade gap

ICRC visits twelve Burmese jails

Falintil guerillas challenge East Timor peackeepers

Malaysian candidates named

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Holbrooke to arrive in Indonesia

China warns US over Falun Gong

Thais hand back Cambodian antiques