![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, December 25, 1998 Published at 09:53 GMT World: Asia-Pacific Tajik opposition forces abroad demobilised The Islamist opposition in Tajikistan says it has disbanded its armed forces outside of the country and closed down their training centres in compliance with last year's peace agreement. In a statement broadcast on Iranian radio the United Tajik Opposition said all its fighters had now returned to Tajikistan, with assistance from the United Nations observer mission. The peace deal brokered by the United Nations last year ended five years of civil war in Tajikistan. Meanwhile Tajik police say that two people have been killed in a gun battle in the capital Dushanbe. The police said the clash was between rival opposition factions. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||