Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, December 26, 1998 Published at 01:51 GMT


World: Africa

Nine in church among Angolan dead

The Angolan army has been defending Kuito for two weeks

The strategically important Angolan town of Kuito has again come under heavy artillery fire from Unita rebels.


Peter Biles reports on the collapse of the Lusaka accord
The Portuguese news agency Lusa says 31 people - many of them women and children - were killed and 36 wounded on Friday.

Angolan government military forces said nine civilians were killed when mortar fire hit a Roman Catholic church in the suburb of Cangoti.

Many of the residents of Kuito, a strategic road and rail junction in central Angola, have been taking refuge in shelters.

Angolan government radio said Kuito was almost unrecognisable following the bombardment.


[ image: Thousands of children are trapped by the fighting in Cuito]
Thousands of children are trapped by the fighting in Cuito
Unita (the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola) has laid siege to Kuito for the past two weeks.

Ironically many Angolan troops are currently fighting to defend the government of President Laurent Kabila in the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo.

Fresh fighting

Renewed fighting in the area followed the collapse of a four-year-old peace treaty with the government collapsed.

The left-wing government of President Jose Eduardo dos Santos has accused Unita leader Jonas Savimbi of having reneged on the 1994 Lusaka peace accord by not disarming his forces.


[ image: The UN blames Unita leader Jonas Savimbi for the renewed violence]
The UN blames Unita leader Jonas Savimbi for the renewed violence
The Lusaka accord was intended to put an end to 20 years of civil war in the former Portuguese colony.

The United Nations Security Council has called for an immediate halt to the fighting in Angola and blamed Unita for "persistent violation of the obligations of the Lusaka peace accords".

The Security Council has also expressed concern at reported violations of an arms embargo and diamond trade restrictions on Unita.


Marjolaine Martin of the Red Cross is worried about the future
Earlier this week aid workers in Angola warned of a looming humanitarian disaster in the country as a result of the fighting in Bie province.

Influx of wounded

A spokeswoman for the Red Cross said Kuito faced an influx of refugees and wounded people and there was no means of bringing in medicine or food.

The fighting around Kuito has destroyed the harvest and left up to 100,000 refugees on the brink of starvation.

Many refugees are heading for food centres which have been established by international relief agencies in Huambo, 150km to the west.

The UN World Food Programme says many arrive malnourished and sick after walking long distances in the rain.

Kuito has been inaccessible by road or by air since the beginning of December, preventing access for humanitarian aid. The town's hospital is full with war casualties.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

25 Dec 98 | Africa
Starvation looms in Angola

17 Dec 98 | Africa
Civilian massacre reported in Angola

15 Dec 98 | Africa
Angola evacuates besieged children

15 Dec 98 | Africa
Diamond trade fuelling Angolan conflict

05 Dec 98 | Africa
UN targets Unita leader





Internet Links


Angola Peace Monitor

Republic of Angola

Unita


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief