Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, December 24, 1998 Published at 22:46 GMT


World: Europe

Kosovo peace shattered

Refugees flee the fighting near Podujevo

The fragile peace in the Balkans is again under serious threat, as a new Serb offensive in Kosovo revives the possibility of Nato air strikes, and the Kosovo Liberation Army calls off its ceasefire.

Kosovo Section
Western diplomats confirmed that around 100 Serbian tanks and armoured vehicles had been involved in an offensive against ethnic Albanians on Thursday in the Podujevo region of northern Kosovo.


BBC Balkans Correspondent Paul Wood: The KLA ceasefire was always tactical
According to a statement from the KLA General Staff, "under these circumstances our self-restraint policy no longer has meaning. This can be understood as the end of the policy of ceasefire."

Nato Secretary-General Javier Solana said Nato's activation order on Yugoslavia remains in place, which would allow Nato to conduct military operations against Yugoslavia "if the situation deteriorates further".


The BBC's Paul Wood: KLA sources say civilians have been fired on
"We will follow very closely how the situation evolves," Mr Solana said, adding that Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic must keep to his promises regarding the deployment of soldiers and police in the province.

But diplomats are already saying the latest offensive probably puts Belgrade in breach of UN resolutions on Kosovo.

Appeal for diplomacy


[ image:  ]
Mr Solana described the KLA's cancellation of its ceasefire as "a trememdous mistake".

"I would like to ... make a clear appeal to both sides to comply with ceasefire that they had agreed and continue towards the only solution ... which is the political solution."

In October this year President Milosevic signed a peace deal negotiated by US envoy Richard Holbrooke under the threat of Nato air strikes. The deal placed restrictions on Serbian police and military operations in the province.


Javier Solana: Activation order still in place
The KLA was never a signatory to this deal, and it never abandoned the armed struggle in pursuit of an independent Kosovo, where 90% of the people are ethnic Albanian. The rebel army declared a unilateral ceasefire, but retained the right to fire if fired upon.

Recently, Serbian officials have warned Western diplomats that they were not prepared to stand by as KLA fighters moved into positions vacated by the security forces as part of the peace agreement.

Our Balkan correspondent says the consequences are serious for the international monitors, who are just beginning their work in Kosovo as part of the implementation of the peace programme.

Shelled villages

In the latest fighting, Western diplomats confirmed on Thursday that the Serbs had shelled several villages near Podujevo.

The Serbian authorities said they were only carrying out a limited search operation after the killing of a policeman on Monday.

Ethnic Albanian sources said the Serbs had set fire to houses, killing at least one person.

The KLA reported that civilians had come under fire and refugees had fled the area.

The Kosovo Information Centre, close to the province's ethnic Albanian leadership, said Serb tanks had entered one of the villages, Lapastica, a stronghold of the KLA.

KLA counterstrike


OSCE spokesman Jurgen Grunnet: There are reports of shelling and machine gun fire
But the rebel fighters said they had also destroyed seven tanks and 12 armoured vehicles and inflicted numerous casualties.

There is no independent confirmation of this, but a BBC correspondent says the KLA is known to have been importing sophisticated anti-tank weaponry in recent months.

Fighting was reported to have died down by Thursday evening.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

21 Dec 98 | Europe
Serb policeman killed in Kosovo

20 Dec 98 | Europe
Kosovo protests mar peace efforts

19 Dec 98 | Europe
Kosovo Albanians 'need unity'

19 Dec 98 | Europe
Diplomats try to unify Kosovar Albanians

13 Oct 98 | Kosovo
Timeline: Countdown to conflict

25 Dec 98 | Kosovo
Kosovo - history, bloody history





Internet Links


Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Serbia Information Ministry

Kosovo Information Centre

Human Rights Watch: Kosovo


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift