![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, December 24, 1998 Published at 20:52 GMT World: Middle East First independent account of casualties in Iraq Humanitarian workers in Iraq have given the first independent accounts of civilian casualties in last week's American and British air strikes. The International Red Cross says at least two-hundred civilians were wounded in Baghdad and that it has reports of up to a few dozen people injured outside the capital. The Red Cross said it could not yet give any figure for civilian deaths. Iraqi officials have spoken of a large number of casualties but have not given any figure. Red Cross and United Nations officials are now working to resume distribution of vitally-needed food and medicines throughout Iraq. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||