Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, December 24, 1998 Published at 19:03 GMT


Counting the cost of Desert Fox

Baghdad citizens are trying to return to normality

Aid workers in Iraq have begun to count the civilian cost of last week's air strikes by US and British forces.


Michel Minnig of the International Red Cross in Baghdad: "We have no knowledge of military wounded"
A spokesman for the International Committee of the Red Cross told the BBC that the first independent count of civilian casualties amounted to some 200 wounded in Baghdad.

There are still no reports from elsewhere in the country although there are suggestions that the number could run into many dozens.


The BBC's Peter Biles: "UN policy towards Iraq is far from clear"
Organisations including the UN and the Red Cross have despatched staff across the country to assess how aid programmes have been affected.

The BBC's correspondent in Baghdad says aid workers are now trying to make up for lost time distributing vital food and medicines to the Iraqi people.

Christmas message

The Iraqi Government, meanwhile, remains defiant.


[ image: Saddam Hussein is still firmly in power]
Saddam Hussein is still firmly in power
In a Christmas message, President Saddam Hussein accused Britain and America of continuing their "criminal aggression" against Iraq.

The Iraqi leader said the coalition action was contrary to the principles of Jesus and of Islam: "Thus, it has become clear to us all, the believers in God and his prophets ... that the rulers of America and Britain, along with Zionism, that they are the enemies of God."

He said the strikes were targeted "not only against the dignified people of Iraq but also against humanity and mankind at large".

US warning

His comments come the day after senior US officials warned they could renew attacks on Iraq at any time.


[ image: US forces retain a heavy presence in the Gulf]
US forces retain a heavy presence in the Gulf
President Clinton's National Security Advisor, Sandy Berger, said the US was under an obligation to strike again if Saddam Hussein continued making weapons of mass destruction. And he said the US was prepared to work more closely with the Iraqi opposition to overthrow the Iraqi president.

But Russia, which heavily criticised the strikes, said the continued threats by the US and Britain were a very dangerous development.

Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov said they were bypassing the UN and resorting to strong-arm methods.

Security Council divided


Paul Reynolds on Sandy Berger's speech outlining US proposals
The Russian ambassador to the United States, Yuli Vorontsov, has now returned to Washington following his recall to Moscow last week in protest at the strikes on Iraq.

But he said his return did not mean that Russia had retracted its criticism of the military action.

The disagreement has not been helping efforts to hammer out a diplomatic solution to the crisis in the UN Security Council which remains deeply divided over the issue, with some members calling for the disbandment of Unscom - the body overseeing the dismantling of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




LATEST NEWS

ROAD TO THE BRINK

FORCES AND FIREPOWER

DECISION MAKERS AND DIPLOMACY

TEXTS AND TRANSCRIPTS

INTERNET LINKS