![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, December 24, 1998 Published at 17:01 GMT
Injury halts Ba move ![]() Ibrahim Ba - no Christmas present for Newcastle fans Newcastle have abandoned plans to sign winger Ibrahim Ba from AC Milan for £5.2m. The 25-year-old French international had agreed personal terms with the club, but the deal was called off when medical tests revealed a long-standing knee problem. Manager Ruud Gullit wanted Ba to fill the gap left by Keith Gillespie's recent departure to Blackburn Rovers. "We had a player we had worked very hard to get, but then he failed his medical. On one hand, it's unlucky for us, but at least we haven't lost a lot of money buying a player who maybe couldn't play for a long time," said Gullit. "It's a very big disappointment. We worked very hard to get him here in secret for his medical. Nobody knew about it - despite his blond hair," he added.
"I think people owe me an apology. I'm not going to tell anyone what I'm going to do," he said. "I can't understand it. I know last year Bryan Robson flew from Middlesbrough to Manchester all the time and Kevin Keegan's family lives here and he works in London and goes home every week. What is the difference?" |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||