![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, December 24, 1998 Published at 10:00 GMT Sport: Cricket Jones set to name names ![]() Dean Jones - ready to face the Australian betting inquiry Former Australian Test batsman Dean Jones has fuelled the betting scandal surrounding the game by promising to reveal the name of another top player involved with a bookmaker.
He told The Australian newspaper that the unnamed player, who is neither Sri Lankan nor Australian, was with the bookmaker at the time. Jones refused to comment on speculation that Indian all-rounder Manoj Prabhakar, who has consistently denied any involvement in betting on matches, was the player involved.
He said the subject of match-fixing or betting was "laughing matter" in 1992 and added: "It all means a lot more than it did then." The Australian Cricket Board has set up its own inquiry into betting on cricket matches, to be headed by Rob O'Regan QC, the former chairman of Queensland's Criminal Justice Commission. His investigation, due to begin on January 12 and expected to last three weeks, will be conducted in private but the findings will be made public in February. He hopes to speak to every player who has represented Australia in the last six years. The ACB decision follows the revelation that Shane Warne and Mark Waugh were fined for accepting money from a bookmaker for providing information during a trip to Sri Lanka in 1994. The pair are due to be questioned by a Pakistani judge investigating claims that batsman Salim Malik offered them bribes to play badly during the 1994 series between the sides. Ricky Ponting revealed last week that he was offered money by a Sydney bookmaker a year ago and former Test players Greg Matthews and New Zealander Danny Morrison have also revealed approaches for information. |
Cricket Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||