![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, December 24, 1998 Published at 15:41 GMT
US warning to Iraq ![]() US forces remain in large numbers in the Gulf Senior United States officials say American forces could renew attacks on Iraq at any time.
And President Bill Clinton's national security advisor, Sandy Berger, said the US was under an obligation to strike again if President Saddam Hussein continued making weapons of mass destruction.
Mr Berger was confident the US could keep tabs on Iraq even if Saddam Hussein did not allow the UN weapons inspectors back. "We will continue to conduct air reconnaissance," Mr Berger said. "We can act if Iraq tries to resume large-scale production of chemical or biological weapons. ''We can watch Iraq's external procurement activity. And we will know what it is trying to build and buy."
Russian Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov described the continued threats by the US and Britain as a very dangerous development. He accused them of bypassing the UN and resorting to strong-arm methods. 'Saddam feared a revolt' Meanwhile the US commander in the Gulf said what Saddam Hussein feared most as airstrikes approached last week was a revolt in his own ranks. The Iraqi leader split up his ground troops and placed them under loyal and ruthless lieutenants, according to Marine Corps General Anthony Zinni. He said Saddam Hussein's main aim was to avert any uprising from within once the airstrikes began. British and American forces suffered no casualties during the four day operation. But General Zinni revealed anti-aircraft artillery fire was heavy enough in some places to cause combat pilots to abandon their targets. 'Strong-arm methods'
The military action drew heavy condemnation from Russia. The UN Security Council remains deeply divided over Iraq with some members calling for the disbandment of Unscom - the body overseeing the dismantling of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. On Wednesday, the US rejected Russian proposals that Secretary-General Kofi Annan play a role in the formulation of UN policy on future arms inspections. Russia, in a draft statement, proposed that Mr Annan first assess the impact of the air strikes "and play his part in promoting humanitarian relief and healing diplomacy". But the US deleted all reference to a diplomatic role for Mr Annan. Despite the rift in the Security Council, the Russian ambassador to the US has flown back to Washington, following his recall in protest at the air strikes. Britain has said that Russia's ambassador to London, who was also recalled, is due to return by the end of the week.
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||