Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, December 23, 1998 Published at 19:39 GMT


World: Middle East

Cohen says US could still strike Iraq


The US Defence Secretary, William Cohen, says American forces could still strike Iraq at any time.

Mr Cohen is visiting some of the thousands of US servicemen and women in the Gulf who took part in Operation Desert Fox last week.

He told reporters in Kuwait that despite the imminent withdrawal of manyUS troops and war planes from the area, nearly twenty-thousand will remain.

Mr Cohen also met members of the ruling family of Kuwait.

He said that the United States could not have carried out the latest operation without Kuwaiti assistance.

Yesterday's Kuwait's foreign minister sought to distance his country from the attacks.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia


In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform