![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, December 23, 1998 Published at 13:58 GMT UK What now for Mandelson and the Dome? ![]() A chance to emulate his grandfather ... Millennium Dome organisers are waiting to hear if Peter Mandelson will step down from his role in the £758m project. The government's ownership of the New Millennium Experience Company is represented by a single share in Mr Mandelson's name. But following the minister's resignation from the government, his future involvement in the Millennium Dome is unclear. An NMEC spokesman told reporters: "We have not heard from the Government yet about what is happening." Assurances Mr Mandelson has held the single share since 26 June 1997. He saw the huge structure in Greenwich, south London, as a chance to emulate his grandfather, former Labour Cabinet Minister Herbert Morrison, who masterminded the 1951 Festival of Britain celebrations. He was at pains to rule out the possibility of a conflict of interest between his Dome role and his new position of Trade and Industry Secretary.
The NMEC said: "Peter Mandelson, as the shareholder, played no part in negotiating or procuring sponsorship contracts for the Dome. "All contracts were handled by the NMEC in-house sponsorship team." Criticism Conservatives last week criticised an announcement that Granada had won a lucrative catering contract at the Dome. They pointed out that the award had gone to a company whose chairman, Gerry Robinson, had prominently campaigned for Labour in the 1997 General Election. The decision had shown "the conflict" between Mr Mandelson's twin roles as Trade and Industry Secretary and Dome supremo, said Conservative culture media and sport spokesman Richard Spring. £30m publicity campaign The NMEC is close to hitting the £150m sponsorship target it needs for the Dome which will open with a glittering party on 31 December, 1999. The massive Dome - big enough to contain two Wembley Stadiums and 13 Royal Albert Halls - is expected to attract at least 12m visitors throughout the whole of 2000. The first TV adverts for the Dome are due to be screened on ITV on Christmas Eve as the first part of a £30m publicity campaign. |
UK Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||