![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, December 23, 1998 Published at 17:39 GMT World: Middle East Netanyahu: Israel will strike back ![]() One building was heavily damaged in the rocket attacks Israel's Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has warned that there will be military retaliation for rocket attacks by Lebanon-based Hezbollah guerrillas.
Hezbollah launched dozens of rockets at the northern Israeli town of Kiryat Shmona early on Wednesday. At least one building was heavily damaged and several people were injured. Other rockets fell on western Galilee.
The spate of exchanges was prompted by an Israeli air raid which left a Lebanese woman and six children dead. Israel apologised for that attack, intended for a reported Hezbollah training camp, describing the incident as a "fatal error". Hundreds of mourners were reported shouting anti-Israeli slogans at the funerals. 'We will react'
Flanked by ministers, Mr Netanyahu toured the damage caused by the rocket attacks. Defence Minister Yitzhak Mordechai said that Israel's fatal attack was completely different to a rocket attack. "We are sorry about what happened and we apologised," said Mr Mordechai, who had already told Lebanon and its ally Syria that Israel was not seeking further confrontation. "But the Hezbollah attack was aimed at intentionally killing children on their way to school."
There is also an on-going campaign in Israel to withdraw troops from a security buffer separating the two countries. Israel's self-declared security zone, which is between 10 and 15km wide, has straddled the border with Lebanon since 1985. Israel says it needs the zone to protect its territory from Hezbollah attacks. In an interview with Qatari satellite television, the assistant Secretary-General of Hezbollah, Shaykh Na'im al-Qasim, said: "We carried out these attacks in response to the killing of civilians. "We believe that Israel must pay a price every time it carries out such an action."
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||