![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, December 23, 1998 Published at 08:29 GMT World: Americas US keeping nearly 20,000 troops in Gulf The American Defence Secretary, William Cohen, has said Washington is reducing its military presence in the Gulf region, but will still keep nearly twenty-thousand troops there. Mr Cohen was speaking at the start of a visit to the Gulf to meet the forces involved in last week's air raids on Iraq. He said a number of heavy bombers and other warplanes would be sent back to the United States from their Indian Ocean base in Diego Garcia. Although troops would be reduced by around a quarter, said Mr Cohen, enough would remain to renew attacks on Iraq if it threatened American allies. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||