Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, December 23, 1998 Published at 14:08 GMT


Pacific beckons for Branson balloon

The balloon is heading for the Pacific

Richard Branson and his balloon team are aiming to be over the US on Christmas Day after their attempt to fly around the world was put back on course.

Great balloon challenge
After a furious round of diplomacy led to China allowing the team through its air space, the balloon crew pressed on with their attempt to set the world record.

By 1340 GMT Mr Branson and his co-pilots were still in Chinese air space and heading for South Korea.

The balloon was cruising at around 28,000ft at longitude 117 degrees east, latitude 35 degrees north.


Richard Branson: "We've seen everything you can possibly imagine"
Favourable winds meant the trio were on course to cross the East China Sea and South Korea, after fears they could be carried over North Korea, which had also refused permission to enter its air space.

"They're going up and down, chasing the jet stream," said a spokeswoman for the ICO Global Challenge.

"They were on quite a slow jet stream and they're trying to get onto a faster one."


[ image: Richard Branson: Hoping for a buoyant Christmas]
Richard Branson: Hoping for a buoyant Christmas
Telephone links to the capsule went down on Tuesday night after 270kg of ice had gathered on the balloon.

Mr Branson and his two co-pilots, the American Steve Fossett and Swede Per Lindstrand, were heading towards South Korea and then southern Japan before starting the long journey over the Pacific Ocean.

The about-turn by Beijing came after a flurry of meetings and pleas from Britain for the balloon to be allowed to continue.

A British diplomat in Beijing said the Chinese foreign ministry had rung the UK's ambassador to give permission, but "requests that it leave Chinese airspace as soon as possible".


[ image: Take-off: The balloon starts its epic voyage]
Take-off: The balloon starts its epic voyage
The balloon strayed into a Chinese no-fly zone after being forced to alter course by US and British air strikes on Iraq.

Chinese officials, worried about safety considerations in the busiest area for air traffic control, at first insisted the balloon land in the Tibetan capital Lhasa. But project leaders and British officials said it could not comply because of safety concerns.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has sent a personal message to Beijing expressing gratitude for the assistance given so far and asking for China's help to allow the balloon to pass through the country safely.

The balloon took off from Morocco on Friday and the crew hope to land in western Europe by the New Year.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©



Relevant Stories

22 Dec 98 | Great balloon challenge
China lets Branson fly on

22 Dec 98 | Great balloon challenge
Branson fighting to get back on course

22 Dec 98 | Great balloon challenge
Branson violates Chinese airspace





Internet Links


ICO Global


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Balloonists: Next stop Geneva

Stranded balloonists rescued

Desert touchdown for balloon heroes

News Online users cheer record balloonists

Balloonists soar into history

Sky-high hopes

Balloons make history

Ballooning's 'triumph of a dream'