Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, December 23, 1998 Published at 14:34 GMT


World: Asia-Pacific

Indonesian troops on trial for kidnappings

The accused soldiers march from court

Eleven members of Indonesia's special forces have gone on trial on charges of kidnapping opponents of former President Suharto.


Patrick Walker: A military trial in public is extremely rare
They all belonged to the Kopassus special unit, commanded by Mr Suharto's son-in-law, Lieutenant General Prabowo Subianto, at the time of the alleged crimes. He has also been implicated in the charges.

He was sacked from the army in August and left the country for Jordan which confirmed on Tuesday that it has granted him citizenship.


[ image: Military investigators said  Mr Prabowo should face trial]
Military investigators said Mr Prabowo should face trial
The defendants have been linked to the kidnapping and torture of at least 23 activists. But the charges only involved the nine who have since surfaced with tales of torture and incarceration.

Human rights groups say one other has been found dead and 13 are still missing.

Prosecutor Harom Wijaya told the packed Jakarta courtroom that ringleader Major Bambang Wisyono had set up a special unit to kidnap people he saw as radicals threatening national security.

The crackdown on anti-Suharto activists was tagged Operation Rose.

"[Wisyono] instructed the other accused by telling them that this was a highly secretive operation to prevent radical movements," Mr Wijaya added.

But he made no mention of torture in reading out the charges against the 11 who face up to seven years if convicted.

The new government of President BJ Habibie ordered an inquiry into the abductions soon after Mr Suharto was forced out of office on 21 May amid political and economic turmoil.

An official report by Indonesian military investigators has recommended Mr Prabowo be court-martialled for his role in the disappearances.

Indonesian Justice Minister Muladi said the government had contacted its embassy in Amman about the disgraced army chief.

Allegations of a cover up

BBC Correspondent Patrick Walker says it is extremely rare for a military trial to be held in public.

He says President Habibie wants to demonstrate that he is taking steps to fight corruption.

But the human rights group, the Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence dismissed the court martial as a "political ploy" designed to protect higher officers.

It also objected to the trial being held before the 13 missing activists had been found.

A spokesman said: "Considering the trial is to be conducted by the armed forces we are certain they are going to attempt to avoid responsibility for locating, releasing and giving us an explanation as to the men's fate.''



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

06 Mar 98 | SPECIAL REPORT
Role of the army could prove crucial

24 Aug 98 | LATEST NEWS
Suharto son-in-law sacked

04 Nov 98 | LATEST NEWS
Indonesia army chief blasts report

23 Dec 98 | LATEST NEWS
Indonesian army officers quizzed over abductions





Internet Links


Indonesian Armed Forces (ABRI)

Indonesian National Committee on Human Rights


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Indonesia rules out Aceh independence

DiCaprio film trial begins

Millennium sect heads for the hills

Uzbekistan voices security concerns

From Business
Chinese imports boost US trade gap

ICRC visits twelve Burmese jails

Falintil guerillas challenge East Timor peackeepers

Malaysian candidates named

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Holbrooke to arrive in Indonesia

China warns US over Falun Gong

Thais hand back Cambodian antiques