Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, December 23, 1998 Published at 09:12 GMT


Business: The Company File

Sears rejects Green's bid again

Freeman's shopping catalogues, one of Sears' major assets

Retail giant Sears has rejected a second takeover offer from retail impresario Philip Green.

Sears rejected Mr Green's initial bid for more than 300p a share, or £459m, and has now rebuffed him again with his latest offer of 340p or £520m.

Mr Green said Sears, owner of Miss Selfridge, Richards and Wallis, rejected the proposals saying there were too many conditions and were not in the best interests of shareholders.


[ image: Takeover activity in the retail sector]
Takeover activity in the retail sector
But Mr Green claimed the only conditions he had laid down were basic questions about the company's progress and details on the value of its property assets.

He also asked for information on the group's debts and an estimated trading update.

Options under review

Phillip Green said he was "disappointed" at the rejection and refuted the accusation that he had asked for too much information.

Mr Green, who is making his offers through his company called Medinbond, said he would review his options when Sears issues its Christmas trading figures.

Mr Green, has bought and sold 21 retail businesses in the last 13 years.

Along with his other requests, he asked Sears for a progress report on the sale its credit card business Creation, which was put up for sale recently. Sears responded by stressing again that Mr Green's proposals remained conditional.

It said: "The board has unanimously concluded that it should reject the approach as it is not in a form that it considers to be in the best interest of shareholders.

"Furthermore the board believes that the true value of Sears is not reflected by the price indicated in Medinbond's proposal."

Private backing

Sears shares are currently at around 266p compared with Mr Green's 340p offer. Last week he confirmed that he had the backing of a group of private investors including Tom Hunter, who sold his Sports Division retail chain to JJB Sports for £290m in July.

Sears chairman Sir Bob Reid has been a staunch defender of the group's independence. He recently declined a private invitation from a venture capital group to head up a management buy-out.

A string of potential bidders have been linked to the group, including rival home shopping firm N Brown and a consortium involving former Sears finance director John Lovering.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


The Company File Contents

In this section

Microsoft trial mediator welcomed

Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Christmas turkey strike vote

NatWest bid timetable frozen

France faces EU action over electricity

Pace enters US cable heartland

Mannesmann fights back

Storehouse splits up Mothercare and Bhs

The rapid rise of Vodafone

The hidden shopping bills

Europe's top net stock

Safeway faces cash demand probe

Mitchell intervenes to help shipyard

New factory creates 500 jobs

Drugs company announces 300 jobs

BT speeds internet access

ICL creates 1,000 UK jobs

National Power splits in two

NTT to slash workforce

Scoot links up with Vivendi

New freedom for Post Office

Insolvent firms to get breathing space

Airtours profits jump 12%

Freeserve shares surge

LVMH buys UK auction house

Rover - a car firm's troubles