Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, December 22, 1998 Published at 13:07 GMT


World: Europe

Hostage remains handover delayed

Stanley Shaw was one of the hostages

Chechen officials have put off returning the remains of four hostages beheaded earlier this month in the breakaway Russian republic.


[ image:  ]
The heads of three Britons and a New Zealander were found in a sack on a road west of the Chechen capital, Grozny, on 8 December.

Police say the four were killed after a rescue attempt went wrong.

Darren Hickey, 26, Peter Kennedy, 46, and 42-year-old Rudi Petschi, and New Zealander Stan Shaw, 58, were killed as Chechen special forces closed in on their kidnappers.

The had been abducted on 3 October in Grozny, where they were installing a cellular phone system.

Prisoner release demanded

Chechen leaders had promised to deliver the heads to the British and New Zealand embassies in Moscow on Tuesday.


[ image: All four victims worked for Granger Telecom]
All four victims worked for Granger Telecom
The Chechen Prosecutor-General, Mansur Tagirov, said there was also a "well-justified hope" that the victims' headless bodies could also be recovered within the next few days.

He is reported to have said that the people in possession of the corpses had been contacted, but were demanding the release of one of their jailed comrades before giving up the remains.

According to Russian reports - denied in Grozny - the Chechen gang behind the executions has issued a $2,000 ransom demand for the return of each body.

Law and order have disintegrated in Chechnya since the end of a bloody war of independence with Russia two years ago.

Abductions have become a major business - more than 100 people are thought to be in captivity there, and ransom demands often run into the millions of dollars.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

10 Dec 98 | World
Murdered hostages 'confessed to spying'

09 Dec 98 | World
Manhunt for hostage killers

08 Dec 98 | Europe
Background: Kidnap capital of the world

05 Oct 98 | Europe
Chechnya: The hard path to statehood





Internet Links


Chechen Republic Online


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift