![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, December 22, 1998 Published at 12:47 GMT UK Football stars remanded ![]() Trevor Sinclair is charged with causing criminal damage Two West Ham footballers have appeared in court charged in connection with an alleged incident at the Premiership club's Christmas party. Defender Neil Ruddock and midfielder Trevor Sinclair appeared at Havering Magistrates Court in Romford, east London, on Tuesday, along with a third man, youth worker Richard Nelson. Former England star Mr Ruddock, 30, of Formby in Liverpool, is charged with affray. Mr Sinclair, 25, of Chigwell in Essex, is charged with causing criminal damage. Mr Nelson, 36, of Brockley in south east London, is charged with using threatening, abusive or insulting words and behaviour. The charges relate to an alleged attack on a Mini car and its female driver in South Street, Romford, in the early hours of Sunday. Earlier that night the Premiership club had held its Christmas party at the nearby Secrets nightclub.
At the beginning of the hearing magistrate Peter Spall said he was friends with several former West Ham players although he did not know Mr Ruddock or Mr Sinclair personally. Neither the Crown Prosecution Service, nor the defendants, objected to Mr Spall presiding at the hearing. Afterwards, Mr Ruddock's solicitor Stephen Welfare issued a brief statement saying his client was innocent. The statement said: "Mr Ruddock had no involvement in the incident reported in the papers yesterday. "He has been charged but should not have been. He will be pleading not guilty in due course and defending the case vigorously." |
UK Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||