Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, December 22, 1998 Published at 12:38 GMT


World: Asia-Pacific

Thousands flee Cambodia dump scare

People have been packing up and moving out

By Cambodia Correspondent Caroline Gluck

Thousands of people living in the southern province of Sihanoukville have been fleeing the area amid growing alarm at the possible health risks from 3,000 tons of suspected toxic waste from Taiwan.

Sihanoukville's police commissioner said that around 30% of people living in the province have already left. On Monday four people were killed and 13 injured in car crashes as they fled the coastal town in heavy rain.


[ image: There have been public appeals for calm]
There have been public appeals for calm
The waste, which was found dumped earlier this month at a site 10 kilometres from the main coastal town, had been labelled as cement material.

The Taiwanese petro-chemical company, Formosa Plastics, later confirmed that it had imported the waste, which contained traces of mercury certified as non-toxic.

Deputy Prime Minister Sar Kheng said that he believed the hazard from the waste was limited. Several officials involved in the shipment have been suspended, he said.

A cleanup involving hundreds of soldiers and expected to last 10 days is to start on Wednesday.

Despite public calls for calm, the mood of anger which led to riots at the weekend leaving one person dead, has now given way to panic and alarm.

Health officials said at least two people have died and five are being treated in hospital since the waste arrived earlier this month.

Schools in the main seaside town were closed for a second day running as were many government offices.

Cambodia's Environment Minister Mok Maret, said he had appealed on local television for people to stay calm, explaining that any harmful effects from the waste would be limited to the area in which it was dumped.

However, officials in the town said that many residents had brought sacks of the waste to their homes using it to mix with cement and building materials.

Water danger

The waste was later dumped in streets and near water supplies when people realised that the material could be dangerous.

The head of the town's water supply authority said water samples had now been sent to Phnom Penh for testing.

Work is now beginning at the dump site to pack the waste into containers ready to ship it back to Taiwan.

Cambodia's acting Head of State, Prince Norodom Ranariddh, said he had been told that three million dollars may have been paid in bribes to officials to import the waste.

He said that the culprits would be punished and made clear that Cambodia would not allow itself to be used as a dump for other countries waste.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia


In this section

Indonesia rules out Aceh independence

DiCaprio film trial begins

Millennium sect heads for the hills

Uzbekistan voices security concerns

From Business
Chinese imports boost US trade gap

ICRC visits twelve Burmese jails

Falintil guerillas challenge East Timor peackeepers

Malaysian candidates named

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Holbrooke to arrive in Indonesia

China warns US over Falun Gong

Thais hand back Cambodian antiques