![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, December 21, 1998 Published at 21:19 GMT Sport: Rugby Union Irish pull out of league plans ![]() Irish side Ulster have reached the European Cup semi-finals Irish clubs will not be involved in rugby union's proposed British and Irish League next season. The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) say the plans currently under discussion would not be in the best interests of the Irish national, provincial and club team structure. The IRFU withdrew from discussions because of "logistical difficulties" according to Glanmor Griffiths, chairman of the British and Irish League Working Party.
This delay is due to the English RFU's fight against its £60,000 International Rugby Board fine imposed last week for failing to prevent Anglo-Welsh friendlies. "After our recent series of meetings I feel we are close to agreement on a formal structure for next season," said Griffiths. "I am confident that the postponement of Wednesday's meeting should not in any way halt our progress or ability to work out the right playing and commercial structures for a British rugby solution." Euro compliment The IRFU's withdrawal from the proposed league would seriously affect the most-recently publicised idea which included four Irish teams. The Irish have been more successful than the Scottish teams in the European Cup this season, with Ulster reaching the semi-finals. They are playing Stade Francais at Belfast's Ravenhill ground next month, and French Rugby Federation president, Bernard Lapasset has given them great credit. "In sides like Ulster we have seen great progress," he commented. "I'm told that we will have sell-out crowd of 20,000 at Ravenhill and there will be 37,000 in Toulouse for Colomiers against Perpignan. What a weekend for the real rugby enthusiast." |
Rugby Union Contents |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||