BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Wales  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Saturday, 26 October, 2002, 16:06 GMT 17:06 UK
Football violence suspects arrested
The Racecourse in Wrexham
Trouble flared before the game at the Racecourse
Thirteen men have been arrested in dawn raids across north east Wales as part of a police operation to stamp out football violence.

The arrests follow a number of incidents in Wrexham town centre earlier this month directly before a match between Wrexham and Everton.


Violence associated with football will not be tolerated by ourselves or the majority of law abiding supporters

Chief Inspector Bob Wilson, North Wales Police

The men, who have not been named, are aged between 22 and 45. They were all charged with affray and threatening behaviour and are due to appear in court next month.

Police have said one man was rearrested within two hours after breaching his bail conditions and is due before a court on Monday.

The men involved have been banned from going within 10 miles of any town or city where Wrexham are playing football or 2000 metres of the Racecourse when the team are playing at home.

They have also been banned from pubs.

Police have said that the arrests were part of a force wide campaign against football related violence and that further arrests were likely to be made.

'Relentless'

Chief Inspector Bob Wilson, from North Wales Police, who headed the operation said: "We are pleased with the result. Tackling violent crime is a priority of the force.

"Following the Wrexham v Everton match a decision was made to pursue the offender relentlessly and Operation Quell was commenced.

"Violence associated with football will not be tolerated by ourselves or the majority of law abiding supporters."

Chief Insp Wilson urged football fans and other members of the public to work together with the police to help eliminate football violence.

"It will make Wrexham a safer place on match days," he added.

Three of the men arrested were from Rhos, two were from Llay and the remainder were from Wrexham.


More from north east Wales
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes