BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Chinese Vietnamese Burmese Thai Indonesian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Asia-Pacific  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Saturday, 26 October, 2002, 10:09 GMT 11:09 UK
Memorial for tragic backpackers
Childers backpackers hostel
The arson attack claimed 15 lives
Many of the relatives of the seven young British travellers who died in a hostel fire in Childers, Australia, have attended a remembrance service.

They saw the unveiling of a permanent memorial for the 15 victims of the arson attack two years ago.

Relatives have travelled from South Wales and southern England, as well as from Ireland, Japan and Holland for the ceremony.

Robert Long
Robert Long was sentenced to life
The head of Queensland's state government, Peter Beattie, said the wave of shock that spread across Australia after the Bali bomb had helped them understand the grief of the backpackers' families.

The father of one of the British victims said he had crossed the globe to see the places and meet the people his daughter had been with in the final days before her death.

Natalie Morris, 28, died alongside her friend, Sarah Williams.

Australia's deputy prime minister John Anderson offered his condolences to the families of the British backpackers, all but one of whom was represented.

Poignant memorial

The tragic events of 23 June 2000 are represented by a glass wall with images of the 15 victims at the Palace Youth Hostel.

Relatives have been touched by the poignant memorial with many acclaiming it as an extraordinary tribute.

The Mayor of Childers, Bill Trevor, said the service was a milestone for the families but warned there would be more emotional challenges ahead.

Drifter Robert Long, the man convicted earlier this year of starting the fire, is due to begin an appeal in Brisbane Supreme Court next week.

Long, who had threatened backpackers, was sentenced to life but could be released after 20 years.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Phil Mercer
"This has been a painful pilgrimage for families"
See also:

15 Mar 02 | Asia-Pacific
15 Mar 02 | Asia-Pacific
11 Mar 02 | Asia-Pacific
08 Mar 02 | Asia-Pacific
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes