BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Friday, 25 October, 2002, 10:28 GMT 11:28 UK
Huge response to serial rapist appeal
Police searching for clues
Police from four forces are involved in the inquiry
Detectives hunting a serial rapist who has attacked women in London and the south-east of England say they have received hundreds of calls in response to a television appeal.

About 500 calls were made to Kent Police officers involved in Operation Orb following an appeal on the BBC's Crimewatch UK programme on Thursday.

Police believe the rapist is responsible for eight rapes and one assault on women and girls across Berkshire, Kent, Surrey and London in the last 11 months.

The officer leading the investigation told BBC London they had some encouraging leads.

Timetable of attacks
15 Nov, 2001: Ashford, Kent
1 July, 2002: Bracknell, Berks
11 July, 2002: Earlswood, Surrey, and Putney Heath
16 July, 2002: Woking, Surrey
6 Aug, Wimbledon Common
7 Aug, 2002: Epsom, Surrey
6 Sep, 2002: Woking, Surrey
16 Sep, 2002: Ripley Green, Surrey

Assistant Chief Constable David Kelly, said: "We've had a number of sightings of a man answering our description near our attack scenes and that's entirely consistent with our theory about him choosing his location before he commits the offence."

More than 100 police officers from across the South are involved in the investigation.

A 10-year-old girl was the first to be attacked in Ashford, Kent, on 15 November last year.

The Crimewatch appeal included an interview with the girl's father who said his daughter still fears that her attacker is watching her.

A 52-year-old victim, who was raped on Wimbledon Common in August 2002, was also interviewed by the Crimewatch team and a reconstruction of the attack was broadcast.

"I heard him slashing at my clothes and I was just paralysed with fear. I didn't know if he'd slash me, so I just... just...you know, let him get on with it.

"I really thought I don't just want to be a dead body that's found on Wimbledon Common."


Key stories

Background

AUDIO VIDEO
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes