BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Friday, 25 October, 2002, 09:36 GMT 10:36 UK
Release hopes for Moscow Britons
Russian security forces outside the Moscow theatre
Elite squads are surrounding the theatre
It is hoped two Britons will be released among more than 70 other non-Russians held by Chechen rebels in a Moscow theatre.

Gunmen were expected to start releasing the foreigners at around 0700 BST, but there appeared to have been a stumbling block in negotiations.

Britons Richard Low and mother Sidica are understood to still be among those held, with husband Peter already released, reportedly because of a heart condition.

A group of 40 rebels seized the theatre on Wednesday, threatening to shoot the audience and blow up the building if Russian security forces intervened.

Red Cross members escort British hostage Peter Low (left) to safety
British hostage Peter Low was escorted to safety
More than 200 of the hostages have been released so far, Russian police say.

The release of eight children, including a Swiss girl, at 0925 BST has increased optimism that continued negotiations on the fate of foreign hostages could prove fruitful.

Richard Low is understood to be a student studying Russian at a Moscow language school. His parents, from Southgate, north London, were visiting him.

Father Peter was taken to hospital, after his release was negotiated by Red Cross officials, and is not said to be in a life-threatening condition.

The Britons managed to telephone people outside when the attackers seized control of the auditorium.

Sporadic calls

John Leonard, the brother-in-law of one of the hostages, said she had told him the guerrillas had explosives tied to chairs, as well as fixed to the stage.

"In the last 36 hours she has been sporadically calling us from her mobile," he said.

"She has been trying to reinforce the point that the security forces should not be attacking or trying to take the building in any way.

"[The hostage-takers] sincerity is not in question."

Mr Leonard said he had been told by his sister-in-law that conditions inside the theatre were very uncomfortable, with food rapidly running out.

Blair condemnation

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said it was hoped Tony Blair would be able to speak to President Putin on Friday morning about the situation.

He said: "We know that we have to be very patient in these situations and keep the hostages' safety paramount - and the Russian government is keeping the hostages' safety paramount."

Earlier the prime minister "completely and utterly" condemned the rebels.

In a statement released by Downing Street, Mr Blair voiced support for the Russian government while saying he hoped to see a peaceful resolution to the siege.

"I completely and utterly condemn this act of terror which has affected hundreds of innocent people who were simply enjoying an evening's entertainment," he said.

Negotiations have been taking place in the theatre foyer between rebels and a group consisting of Red Cross officials, members of the Russian parliament and a British journalist.

See also:

23 Oct 02 | Europe
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes