BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Sunday, 10 November, 2002, 14:15 GMT
Plans for Nato base scrapped
Nato flag
Nato's decision is seen as a blow for Warrington.
A massive business park in the North West has lost out on its challenge to become the home of a military communications complex.

Warrington council planners admit the news is a blow for the Omega regeneration site, which is expected to provide up to 12,000 jobs.

Officials in the region had been approached by representatives from the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato) asking for details about space at the development.

So far no other companies have signed on to occupy the site of the former US air base at Burtonwood.

The former Burtonwood Air base
The base was used by the US Air Force until 1993

But owners English Partnerships say they are confident of finding clients for the site.

Leader of Warrington Borough Council Mike Hughes said: "It's disappointing but that particular site is a prime site on the M62.

"I'm sure a major user will show interest in due course.

"It is a blow in the short term but one has to be stoical about these kinds of events and plan for the long term."

The 558-acre Omega site is regarded as one of the North West's most promising development areas.

It had been earmarked as a possible location for a major research and administration centre for Nato.

However, Nato has decided not to continue with talks, leaving Omega officials to look elsewhere for would-be occupants.

'Ticking along'

A spokeswoman for English Partnerships insists the decision is not a major set-back.

She said: "We are working on the master plan and it's ticking along nicely at the moment."

The Burtonwood site was opened as a Royal Air Force base in 1938.

It was taken over by the United States Air Force in 1967 before being closed in July 1993.


Click here to go to Liverpool
See also:

16 Oct 02 | Europe
16 Oct 02 | Politics
21 Jul 02 | Country profiles
21 Jul 02 | Country profiles
26 Mar 02 | Europe
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes