BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 24 October, 2002, 11:37 GMT 12:37 UK
Family's 'disgust' at memorial removal
A policeman surveys the tributes
Thousands of tributes were left by the side of the A29
The family of murdered schoolgirl Sarah Payne have said they are furious they were not told that a makeshift memorial to their daughter was to be removed.

Poems written by children, dozens of teddy bears and a cross hand-carved in oak were cleared away last week by West Sussex County Council.

The council said the makeshift memorial at the spot by the side of the A29 where Sarah's body was found had led to several road accidents and had to go.

Detectives have said there was a "breakdown in communication" between authorities and the Payne family.

Birthday tribute

Sarah's grandfather Terry Payne said it was "disgusting".

"All it needed was a telephone call to the family by the council to say it's not safe any more, what shall we do.

Sarah Payne
A new memorial for Sarah is planned

"Last Sunday would have been Sarah's 11th birthday. Lots of people went up to the memorial to pay their respects. When I went up on (the following) Friday it had all gone. We are all desperately upset about it."

A police spokesman said: "As the senior officer, Martyn Underhill has taken responsibility for the error." The spokesman admitted that the police had been told of the action by the council.

Sarah's body was found dumped in a field close to the A29 near Pulborough, West Sussex.

Local tip

Thousands of people visited the site in the days after the discovery and left their own messages of sympathy.

Her killer, paedophile Roy Whiting, was jailed for life in December last year for her abduction and murder.

It is understood that items from the memorial were taken to a local tip but recovered later.

The bin bags containing the tributes have now been handed to Sarah's family.

A spokesman for West Sussex County Council said Sussex Police had promised to tell the family of the plans to remove the memorial.

'Not us'

He said: "That stretch of the A29 is very fast and where people have been slowing down to see the memorial there have been accidents. We were concerned that there could be a more serious crash.

"The police said they were going to contact the family. It was not us."

A Sussex Police spokesman said: "There will be a memorial at a safer place somewhere near Worthing."

Plans for the memorial are being led by the British Safe House Association, who are consulting with the county council and the Payne family.


Click here for more from Southern Counties
See also:

20 Dec 01 | England
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes