| You are in: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 24 October, 2002, 08:04 GMT 09:04 UK
Ivorians urged to talk
French soldiers have deployed in a buffer zone
African leaders have again called for immediate negotiations between the government and rebels to end the Ivory Coast's five-week political crisis.
Speaking after closed talks in the commercial capital, Abidjan, they also repeated their call for the urgent deployment of regional peacekeepers although no dates were set.
The meeting late on Wednesday was also overshadowed by allegations from an Ivorian army official that the rebels have broken the ceasefire both sides agreed to last week, although that could not be confirmed. The two sides in the conflict, which has seen the country split into two, have not yet met, but they have agreed to stop fighting for talks to take place. Military chiefs-of-staff from West African countries are due to meet on Friday to pledge troops for a peacekeeping force which would be in place within two weeks.
Breaking point Speaking after the meeting, Togolese President Gnassingbe Eyadema who as chosen as mediator, warned that regional peace depended on ending the Ivorian crisis. "When the house of your neighbour burns, you have to help him put out the flames or yours will be next," he said. The grand opening ceremony on Wednesday in Abidjan was two hours late beginning and lasted just five minutes.
Our correspondent says that the French ambassador continued to read his newspaper and refused to stand as President Laurent Gbagbo entered the room. Relations between the two countries, he said, are at breaking point. On Wednesday morning, French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin warned President Gbagbo that the attacks on Europeans on Tuesday could jeopardise the French army's role in monitoring the ceasefire with rebels. Violation An Ivorian army spokesman on Wednesday accused the rebels of violating the ceasefire in Daloa, the cocoa capital which loyalist forces recaptured from the rebels last week. "Since 0500 (GMT), rebels on the Daloa front have launched attacks against positions held by army soldiers," Lieutenant Colonel Jules Yao Yao said on national television.
He also accused the rebels of seizing a local television station in rebel-held Bouake and using it to broadcast anti-government messages. He said the government reserved the right to respond with force if necessary. But a French army spokesman said that he had heard nothing about fighting in Daloa. There is "no break in the ceasefire, to our knowledge," he told the French news agency AFP.
|
See also:
23 Oct 02 | Africa
21 Oct 02 | Africa
18 Oct 02 | Africa
17 Oct 02 | Africa
16 Oct 02 | Africa
16 Oct 02 | Africa
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Africa stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |