BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Spanish Portuguese Caribbean
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Americas  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Wednesday, 23 October, 2002, 09:15 GMT 10:15 UK
Bogota bomb fuels urban war fears
The site of the car bomb in Bogota
The bomb may have been retaliation for a crackdown
Colombian police have raided shanty towns in the capital, Bogota, after a car bomb attack outside police headquarters killed two people and injured almost 40.


These are things that are to be expected but we must endure them - there is no turning back

Vice-President Francisco Santos

Police said the bomb, which exploded in a car park, was the work of the country's leftist rebels, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).

The bombing appears to confirm a shift in the conflict from the countryside to urban centres, the BBC's Jeremy McDermott reports from Bogota.

Police frisk suspects in Cali
Thousands of police have raided urban slums

Previously the city was spared the worst of the four-decade war between government forces, the FARC and right-wing paramilitaries.

Police said the car was packed with 50 kilograms (110 pounds) of explosives and driven into the car park adjacent to police headquarters.

The bomb killed an attendant who was washing the car at the time and a police officer in his late teens.

Slums targeted

The subsequent police raids echoed a campaign in the country's second biggest city Medellin last week, when 1,000 troops invaded Comuna 13, a guerrilla-dominated slum.

There they were met by heavily armed rebel militias and street-fighting raged for two days until 3,000 troops managed to take control of the district. At least 12 people were killed in the fighting.

President Alvaro Uribe
Alvaro Uribe's father was killed by the rebels

The dense security blanket still smothers Comuna 13 and in Cali, the third largest city, police carried out similar raids on poor neighbourhoods to try to assert their control.

The Defence Minister, Marta Lucia Ramirez, said the car bombs were "obviously a response to the actions by government forces to protect the citizens".

Vice-President Francisco Santos said the government would not be deterred from its hard-line campaign to suffocate the insurgents.

"These are things that are to be expected but we must endure them," he said. "There is no turning back."

Since taking office in August, President Alvaro Uribe has introduced a series of tough new measures to pursue the rebels, some of which entail the suspension of basic civil liberties.

They include the establishment of a civilian spy network and paid informers, arms for peasants in vulnerable parts of the country, and the detention of suspects without warrants and imposition of curfews in certain zones.


Key stories

Background

Profiles

TALKING POINT
See also:

19 Oct 02 | Americas
24 Sep 02 | Americas
09 Sep 02 | Americas
15 Jan 02 | Americas
22 Sep 02 | Americas
12 Aug 02 | Americas
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes