| You are in: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 22 October, 2002, 15:19 GMT 16:19 UK
US denies plotting Eritrean coup
The US has criticised Afewerki's government
The United States has rejected accusations that it has plotted to overthrow the Eritrean Government.
On Monday, the Eritrean Foreign Ministry released a statement claiming that the previous administration of President Bill Clinton had employed the CIA to topple the government in Asmara, during the war between Eritrea and Ethiopia.
The US has angered the Eritrean authorities by calling on them to release two local employees of the US embassy in Eritrea who have been in detention since last year; Ali Alamin and Kiflom Gebremichael. It also urged the Eritrean Government to grant them an open and fair trail and "respect fundamental human rights." US State Department spokesman Richard Boucher repeated that it was wrong to arrest people and hold them for a year without trial. "We've called on the government to change its ways, but no, we're not trying to overthrow it," he said. Defeatists The BBC's Alex Last in Asmara says that in essence, the Eritrean statement implies that the top 11 Eritrean government officials, including former leaders of the liberation movement, who publicly criticized the Eritrean president after the recent war with Ethiopia, were recruited by the CIA. The government has previously accused the officials of conspiring to remove President Isaias Afewerki.
They were arrested in September last year, though none of them have been charged and they remain imprisoned at an unknown location. The government said it took "necessary actions against hostile elements to safeguard the sovereignty and the national security of the country". All Eritrean private newspapers have been closed since last September. Eritrea is the only country in Africa without a local private press. Amnesty International says that 18 journalists are currently detained without charge. Anti-terrorist base? Our correspondent says the Eritrean statement highlights the inherent suspicion the administration has for the US, despite Eritrean attempts to improve relations with the Bush administration. Most importantly, Eritrea has been inviting the US to make use of its facilities for the war against terrorism - a great way to nullify any threat from Eritrea's regional opponents, Ethiopia, Sudan and, more recently, Yemen.
Diplomatic sources say that many in the Pentagon have been in favour of using Eritrean facilities, such as the heavily militarised Red Sea port of Assab, now unused, which is considered to be one of the most secure locations in the region. But so far, sources say, this has been opposed by the State Department, not least because of the detention of the Eritrean employees of the American Embassy. Instead, US forces are currently using neighbouring Djibouti. |
See also:
10 Oct 01 | Africa
10 Oct 01 | Africa
08 Oct 01 | Africa
03 Oct 01 | Africa
02 Oct 01 | Africa
21 Sep 01 | Africa
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Africa stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |