BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Wales  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 22 October, 2002, 15:35 GMT 16:35 UK
City ban for vicar on sex charges
Lawrence Davies
Canon Davies was told to surrender his passport
A senior Church in Wales vicar charged with serious sex offences against a young man more than 10 years ago has been banned from returning to the city where he lives.

Canon Lawrence Davies, 62, was freed on bail but ordered to leave his Cardiff home by magistrates.

He was told to stay with relatives 40 miles away and must also surrender his passport.

Canon Davies, an area dean of the city, is charged with the rape of a man, indecent assault of a boy under 16 and gross indecency with a boy under 16.

At a previous hearing, magistrates were told the alleged offences all related to one person and dated from between 1987 and 1992.

Canon Davies, the most senior parish priest in Cardiff, cannot now enter the city unless he has an appointment with his solicitor.

During an hour-long hearing at Cardiff magistrates court on Tuesday , Canon Davies spoke only to confirm his name and address.

The hearing was held up after an outburst from a woman in the public gallery. She was removed from the court by police.

Replacement vicar

Canon Davies, who became a priest in 1971, was remanded on bail until 30 October.

His next appearance will be at Cardiff Crown Court.

On Friday a spokesman for the diocesan Bishop of Llandaff, the Right Reverend Dr Barry Morgan, said Canon Davies had been relieved of his clerical duties "pending the outcome of any additional investigation or court hearing".

Arrangements have also been put in place to take care of the city centre parish with a replacement vicar being brought in, the spokesman said.


More from south east Wales
See also:

19 Oct 02 | Wales
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes