Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, December 7, 1998 Published at 18:08 GMT


Sport: Football

Twin towers 'have to go'

The twin towers may be replaced by replicas

Senior figures at Wembley stadium have admitted that they will have to demolish the twin towers when the stadium is redeveloped.

The world-famous landmarks appeared to have won a reprieve last month after news of their demise was released, but now it seems that only replicas will survive.

The latest admission is likely to anger Brent Council, which gave redevelopment the go-ahead on the basis of the towers' survival.

The local authority has warned that planning permission could be taken away if the 75-year-old towers were to be removed in the £300m scheme.

Wembley Stadium vice-chairman Jarvis Astaire told a sports forum: "The towers will have to go because the entire stadium will need widening. But I believe replicas will be built."

Work on rebuilding the stadium has already been delayed from its original start date of next May and is now not expected to begin before next autumn.

A Celine Dion concert is being held there next summer and England are hoping to stage their European Championship qualifier against Luxembourg at Wembley on 4 September 1999 before the bulldozers move in.


[ image: Graham Kelly: Said towers were not 'significant']
Graham Kelly: Said towers were not 'significant'
Fears for the towers were first raised following comments by Football Association chief executive Graham Kelly.

He said he was uncertain if they would be "significant" to a new 88,000-seat arena, forming the centrepiece of a bid to bring the World Cup to England in 2006.

One option is to move the grade II listed towers to form a gateway to the new national stadium.

But not only would that prove expensive, there is also no guarantee they can be successfully relocated.

No decision on the future of the 126ft high towers can be taken until Wembley becomes the property of English National Stadium Trust, which is buying it from Wembley Plc for £103m.

With £120m having been granted by the English Sports Council, that leaves £17m to be used during the design phase.

The FA aims to raise £200m towards the development costs through the City.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


Football Contents

Africa

Relevant Stories

09 Nov 98 | Talking Point
Should Wembley's Twin Towers be saved? Your reaction

11 Nov 98 | Football
Reprieve for Wembley's towers

10 Nov 98 | Football
Sir Stan unmoved in Twin Towers row

07 Dec 98 | Football
Twin towers facing demolition





In this section

Collins calls it a day for Scots

Derby double swoop fails

From Special Report
Keegan accused over late night

White Rose rivals meet again

McIlroy tipped for NI role

League to rule on Sky shares

Keane talks to resume

From Special Report
We'll be back for World Cup - Brown

From Special Report
Keegan insists England can triumph

Irish to appeal after brawl

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

From Special Report
I've rarely seen anything worse

From Special Report
An almost unbelievable turnaround

SA kidnap shocks soccer coach

From Special Report
Police claim play-off success

From Special Report
England book Euro 2000 place

From Special Report
We've a long way to go - Keegan

Turks bury Irish dream

From Special Report
We deserved to qualify - Hendry

Slovenia to make Euro debut

From Special Report
England v Scotland - picture gallery

From Special Report
What they said