![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, December 7, 1998 Published at 19:24 GMT
IRA in 'top-level talks' ![]() The IRA has so far refused to disarm The IRA has held a full session of its ruling Army Council to assess the continuing impasse over decommissioning terrorist arms, say security sources.
The IRA recently denied that it was planning such a meeting, and rejected reports that it would discuss decommissioning. The failure of groups including the IRA to dispose of their arms has led to fears that the peace process in the province may falter. Last week talks between Northern Ireland parties at Stormont Castle on the establishment of cross-border bodies and an executive body on the new Northern Ireland Assembly stalled amid wrangling over arms decommissioning. Northern Ireland First Minster David Trimble has said he we will not allow Sinn Fein to take up seats in the executive, until the IRA begins to give up weapons.
BBC Ireland Correspondent Mark Devenport says the timing of the IRA meeting is significant. It comes days before Mr Trimble and the SDLP leader John Hume receive their Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo.
At other times the IRA is run by a seven-strong council. In a separate development, UK Prime Minister Tony Blair and his Irish counterpart Bertie Ahern had a 15-minute telephone discussion on Monday about the hold-up in the peace deal.
Mr Blair and Mr Ahern are expected to meet briefly for further peace process exchanges at the weekend, when they will both be in Vienna for a European Union summit. Meanwhile, Mr Trimble has warned that the peace process also faces another threat. The Good Friday Agreement could collapse if the nationalist community pressed too hard for too many of the UK Government's powers to be devolved to the cross-border bodies, he said. He said this was the reason why the attempt at power-sharing had failed in 1974. "There is in our view a very serious danger of history repeating itself in this respect," he said. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||