Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, December 7, 1998 Published at 17:23 GMT


UK

We are not thieves, say florists

The florists say they were salvaging wreaths from this cemetery

A florist has strenuously denied allegations that he and his wife stole flowers from a cemetery to re-use them in their shop.


John Thorne: "According to the prosecution, they were caught red handed"
"We were professionals at our jobs. We were not thieves," David Scott, 61, told Durham Crown Court.

Mr Scott, of Blaydon in Gateshead, is jointly accused with his wife Mary, 45, of four counts of stealing floral tributes from the Garden of Remembrance in Preston cemetery, Northshields, earlier this year. They both deny the charges.


[ image: David Scott:
David Scott: "We are professionals"
The couple were spotted by a cemetery caretaker at the graveyard. Mrs Scott allegedly took the wreath while Mr Scott is said to have acted as look-out.

But Mr Scott told the jury he thought he was salvaging, not stealing the wreath bases he took from cemetery skips.

His wife said flowers from cemeteries could not be recycled because they were "tired, dirty and dying" and that she was only interested in examining the flowers to see how their competitors put them together.

Mrs Scott said that the reason police had found two memorial cards from wreaths at their home was because her daughter collected them.

"She was going to make a book of different cards for people who were stuck for words."

A fifth charge of taking laurel from a tree in the Garden of Remembrance was dropped.


[ image: Mary Scott said she was curious about rival florists]
Mary Scott said she was curious about rival florists
Brian Forster, for the prosecution, told Mr Scott: "You were willing to intrude on other people's tragedy and steal their flowers."

Mr Scott replied: "We have been in business for too long to do that."

The Scotts ran their florist shop for 13 years until the allegations began when the business collapsed.

Mrs Scott told the court that since then the family had been harassed, their car fire-bombed and their daughter bullied at school.

The case continues.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

03 Dec 98 | UK
'Unbearable life' for florists

03 Dec 98 | UK
Florists 'sold stolen wreaths'





In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online