![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, December 7, 1998 Published at 10:46 GMT UK Council reopens wards for immigrants ![]() The UK is looking to crack down on illegal immigrants Council chiefs in Kent have reopened two NHS hospital wards to house suspected illegal Romanian immigrants.
They were among 103 east Europeans who claimed political asylum after being discovered in the back of a truck at Dartford ferry port last week. It is believed to be one of the largest single round-ups of suspected illegal immigrants in the UK. Wards closed for years The hospital wards were closed several years ago because there was no access.
"This is a part of the hospital not being used for patients. No NHS patient will be put out by this development," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.
The guards were brought in after the immigrants began disrupting hospital life, the newspaper says. A Home Office spokeswoman said that while the department's immigration section was responsible for processing their applications the government did not provide for refugees. She said: "Local authority social services provide care for asylum seekers while the Home Office considers their asylum applications." A social services spokeswoman told the newspaper that the refugees would eventually be moved into bed and breakfast accommodation. |
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||