![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, December 7, 1998 Published at 13:50 GMT World: Europe Genocide suspect pleads not guilty ![]() General Krstic (left) with ex-Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic Bosnian Serb General Radislav Krstic has pleaded not guilty to charges of genocide and crimes against humanity at his appearance before the United Nations War Crimes Tribunal in the Hague.
Srebrenica was overrun by Bosnian Serb militia in 1995 and as many as 8,000 Muslim men are believed to have been killed. The general is indicted as the Commander of the Drina Corps of the Bosnian Serb Army, which led the campaign from July to November.
Asked how he felt, General Krstic said: "As well as can be expected on the whole, but I am tired after the arrest. Exhausted." He also complained that there was no heating in his high-security UN cell and that he was receiving no therapy for his injured leg. He lost part of his right leg, reportedly after stepping on a mine in 1994.
Prosecutor Brenda Hollis said she would likely call between 50 and 70 witnesses at the trial, which is expected to last for months. High-profile associates General Krstic was arrested last week by Nato-led peacekeeping forces in the north of the Bosnian Serb Republic. He faces charges brought both in respect of his personal involvement in the alleged crimes, and in respect of his responsibility for the actions of soldiers under his command. Charges against the general include:
General Krstic is believed to be a close associate of former Bosnian Serb leader, Radovan Karadzic, and his General, Ratko Mladic - the tribunal's top two suspects. The two are also indicted for genocide at Srebrenica, but have so far avoided arrest. General Krstic is said to have been seen with General Mladic while men were being separated from women near the town.
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||