![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, December 6, 1998 Published at 23:46 GMT World Annan: Lockerbie deal 'on the way' ![]() Mr Annan is optimistic that his visit will produce a settlement in time The UN Secretary-General, Kofi Annan, has told the US Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright, that he believes a settlement with Libya is within reach over the trial of two Libyans suspected of involvement in the bombing of a Pan Am airliner over Lockerbie 10 years ago, killing 270 people.
The announcement comes a day after the Secretary-General held a "positive and fruitful" meeting with the Libyan leader, Colonel Gaddafi, at his desert camp. No further details have yet emerged. Same message
The BBC's Diplomatic Correspondent, Barnaby Mason, says Mr Annan and the foreign ministry are now giving out much the same message.
It had been thought that the congress, which is holding its annual meeting in a five day session on Tuesday, could take a decision on the suspects, but the Jana editorial has also dampened those hopes. Even after congress approval, any surrender of the two men would require unspecified "arrangements", it said. Agreement in principle
Mr Annan's mission was intended to clarify the British and American position on the handing over of the two suspects. After the desert meeting, Mr Annan said Tripoli had accepted the men should be tried in a foreign country. But the US Government said it was disappointed that the mission had not ended with Libya handing over the suspects, Abdel Basset Ali Mohamed al-Megrahi and Lamen Khalifa Fhimah
Following Mr Annan's meeting a spokesman for the families of American victims, George Williams, said he remained optimistic about the prospect of a trial. "Usually a world leader won't go somewhere unless he knows he's coming away with something concrete - so I believe we'll hear something in a short period of time." Key facts on Lockerbie
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||