Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, December 6, 1998 Published at 18:42 GMT


UK

Double tragedy leaves toddler orphaned


Police have launched an investigation into a double tragedy which left a two-year-old girl orphaned.

They set up a special incident room in Swindon after a man was killed by a local passenger train on the Gloucester-Swindon line on Saturday.

More than five hours later police went to the man's home address in the Pinehurst area of Swindon and found the body of his 18-year-old partner in her bed.

Police have named the train victim as 28-year-old Mark Hinton, and confirmed that he died from multiple injuries.

'Suspicious death'

But they declined to say how the woman he lived with, Sarah Louise Winrow, had died.

Acting Superintendent Bob Philpott said: "We are treating her death as suspicious."

It is understood that she had no apparent injuries and no weapon was found in the house.

A post mortem examination has been carried out and forensic samples have been sent for analysis.

'Terrible domestic tragedy'

Mr Philpott said inquiries were continuing and the incident room was investigating the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

"At the moment we are concentrating our inquiries on these two people only. This appears to have been a terrible domestic tragedy and it is a very distressing time for the two families concerned just before Christmas."

The policeman said the train driver reported the rail death and alerted the police.

Officers had to force their way into the victim's home, where they found the body of the young woman. She was alone in the house.

The couple had a two-year-old girl, whom Mr Philpott declined to name. He said: "She is safe and well and being cared for by relatives."

It was understood, he said, that the toddler had been staying with relatives for some time.

Wiltshire coroner David Masters has been informed and an inquest is expected to be formally opened and adjourned.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England
In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online