![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, December 6, 1998 Published at 18:49 GMT World: Africa UN negotiates release of peacekeepers in Angola The former rebel UNITA group in Angola has released fourteen United Nations peacekeepers from its control, following intervention by the UN Secretary General. The men had been prevented from leaving a UNITA stronghold in the Central Highlands, which has been under attack from government troops. But the UN special envoy, Issa Diallo, told the BBC that following an agreement with UNITA, the peacekeepers had been allowed to travel to the government safe-town of Huambo. On Friday the Secretary-General, Kofi Annan, said he would hold the UNITA leader, Jonas Savimbi, personally responsible for the security of his peacekeepers. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||