![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, December 6, 1998 Published at 19:22 GMT World: Asia-Pacific Donors debate Afghan aid ![]() Kabul's hospitals face a difficult winter without international aid At the end of a year, which has seen the withdrawal of most international aid workers from Afghanistan, donors and international aid organisations are meeting in Tokyo on Monday to decide whether it is time to return to the country. The withdrawals came throughout the summer when, first, the Taleban movement expelled non-governmental aid agencies from Kabul in July after they refused to move to a disused polytechnic building. A month later almost all other aid groups pulled out as the United States attacked Afghan targets associated with the Saudi dissident Osama Bin Laden.
Most have yet to return. Some are still refusing to move to Kabul's disused polytechnic building, while others are staying away for security reasons.
And the British and American governments are warning their nationals that they could be in danger if they return to Afghanistan. But some aid groups are gradually trickling back to areas outside Kabul. And the European Commission, Afghanistan's biggest single donor, says it's prepared to resume funding for projects in secure rural areas where aid will be able to reach both men and women. Martin Griffiths, the UN's deputy emergency relief co-ordinator said the Tokyo meeting would be used to ensure that all donors and aid organisations were taking the same approach with the Taleban. Earlier this year donors and agencies agreed to adopt a united front on issues such as human rights, women's access to aid programmes and drugs control. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||