![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, December 6, 1998 Published at 12:23 GMT Sport Commonwealth Games chief quits ![]() Jim Seligman attracted large sums of money for the Manchester games The chief executive of Manchester's 2002 Commonwealth Games has resigned after less than a year in the post. Jim Seligman quit his £100,000-a-year job just 11 months into his contract. A spokesman for the Manchester 2002 board said Mr Seligman's commitment to the games had "restricted him from pursuing other interests". This high-profile departure will be a setback for preparation of the games which are costing £58m. Mr Seligman came from an industry background and his role was to attract business sponsorship and sell Manchester on the world stage. Row with the board Although his departure was said to be amicable, it is reported that there had been concerns about his overall management style. During his tenure, Mr Seligman presided over the launch of Kit - the games' mascot - and their "spirit of friendship" logo. He also led the Manchester team in Kuala Lumpur where the last Commonwealth Games were held . Paying tribute to Mr Seligman, the board chairman, Robert Hough, said: "Jim has worked hard at a difficult job and we wish him well in the future. He can look back with some satisfaction at the team we are creating and the vision we are developing to make sure that Manchester hosts the finest Commonwealth Games ever and that the games make a real contribution to the quality of life in Manchester. "Certainly it will be business as usual in the games office and the rest of the team will be working hard to make sure that all current projects remain on course," he added. In his parting statement, Mr Seligman said: "I have greatly enjoyed my time working on the games in Manchester and I am confident that the team I have helped build will produce a great event. "I would like to thank everyone in the games office, and wish them all the best for the challenges that lie ahead." The board confirmed there was no replacement in line to fill the post but that the finance director Bill Enevolson would have an expanded role. In September, the government announced the UK's biggest sporting complex would be built for the event with lottery and Manchester City Council funding. |
Sport Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||