![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, December 6, 1998 Published at 15:50 GMT World: Middle East Palestinian prison protest ![]() Clashes turned violent on Saturday More than 2,000 Palestinian prisoners in jails across Israel have gone on hunger strike to demand the release of political detainees.
More prisoners joined the campaign on Sunday, bringing the total to 2,400. "They have launched an unlimited hunger strike in a bid to leave the prisons where they continue to languish five years after the signing of the Oslo accords with Israel," said Palestinian Prisoner Affairs Minister Hisham Abdelrazek.
The Union of Palestinian Prisoners, based in Gaza, has called on the population to unite with the hunger strikers by staging their own protests. Over the past few days there have been widespread demonstrations across the Palestinian territories to demand the release of the prisoners. On Saturday, protests in several West Bank towns turned into violent clashes with Israeli troops, which left around 25 people injured.
The hunger strike campaign started nearly two weeks ago when around 100 Palestinian prisoners in Megiddo military prison in northern Israel stopped eating. Troubled peace President Clinton's visit to the region is a bid to shore up the troubled Wye River peace accord. During negotiations for the interim agreement, Israel said it would release 750 Palestinians. However, so far it has freed mainly petty thieves, not the political prisoners Israel regards as terrorists, but Palestinians believe are heroes. The Israelis have said they will not release prisoners who, they say, "have blood on their hands". In response, the Palestinians have said they will carry out a rolling campaign of action. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||