BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Monday, 30 September, 2002, 18:50 GMT 19:50 UK
Men jailed for restaurant explosion
The scene of the explosion in Blackburn
The front of the shop was blown across the road
Two men who blew apart a Lancashire takeaway restaurant owned by one of them have been jailed for a total of six years.

Zaheer Ali, who owned the Heena takeaway in Blackburn, and Majid Hussain, carried out the arson attack to claim the insurance money, Preston Crown Court heard.

The explosion in the Bank Top area happened near a school and sent the shop front flying across the road.

On Monday Ali and Hussain were sentenced to three years each for the incident, which caused up to £750,000 worth of damage.

Zaheer Ali, who owned the takeaway
A can of petrol was later found in Ali's car

Two neighbouring businesses were also destroyed in the blast, in the early hours of 23 May 2001.

The court had heard that 25-year-old Ali, of Lancaster Place, Blackburn, had increased the insurance cover shortly before the attack on the takeaway.

Detective Inspector Mark Gray, of Lancashire police, said the incident could have been much worse.

He told BBC North West Tonight: "Three buildings were totally devastated. The front of the shop was found on the opposite side of the road, having been blown some 30 or 40 yards because of the extent of the detonation.

Hospital treatment

"Had it happened at a busy time then we could have had much more serious consequences."

Hussain, also 25, from Montague Street in Blackburn, had caused the explosion by igniting a mixture of gas and petrol.

The court was told he was seen walking away from the building covered in dust and with torn clothes. He later spent eight days in hospital being treated for burns.

Both men had denied arson and recklessly endangering life, but were found guilty last month.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Peter Marshall
"They set out to torch the Heena takeaway but managed to blow it apart"

Click here to go to Lancashire
See also:

Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes