BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Spanish Portuguese Caribbean
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Americas  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Monday, 30 September, 2002, 15:51 GMT 16:51 UK
Former Argentine leader in court
Carlos Menem
Menem is seeking a third term as president
Argentina's former President Carlos Menem has appeared in court in Buenos Aires, after receiving an ultimatum to turn up.

But Mr Menem refused to testify before the judge leading an investigation into an undeclared Swiss bank account in his name.

Instead, he is reported to have presented a written statement to the court, questioning the competence of the judge, Norberto Oyarbide.

On Monday, Mr Menem was ordered to appear - or face the possibility of being found in contempt of court - after failing to turn up twice last week.

Outside the court building there were scuffles between his supporters and journalists covering the event.

Compensation award

Mr Menem's supporters say the investigation is politically motivated, with the aim of stopping him from running for president next year.

Menem facts
Born in 1930 of Syrian parents
Trained as a lawyer
President for 10 years until 1999
Still leader of his Peronist Party
Married Chilean ex-beauty queen Cecilia Bolocco
Plans to run for president in 2003
Mr Menem has admitted his family had an account in Switzerland for some $600,000.

He says the money was compensation he was awarded for being imprisoned by military juntas which ruled Argentina from 1976 to 1984.

However, it is alleged that accounts linked to the 72-year-old former president contain up to $10m.

Arms diverted

In 2001, Mr Menem spent five months under house arrest, while the judicial authorities looked into his possible involvement in the sale of arms to Croatia and Ecuador during his presidency, despite a UN embargo.

The 6,500 tons of weapons were officially destined for Panama and Venezuela, and Mr Menem said he was unaware the arms had been diverted to other countries.

In November that year, the Argentine Supreme court ruled that there was no case to answer.

The case was re-opened this year, but three weeks ago a court ruled that there was no evidence to prove he had knowingly authorised the weapons sales.

Mr Menem has announced his intention of putting himself forward for the primary election in the Peronist party, due to be held in November.

He has many powerful adversaries within the party, including the current President, Eduardo Duhalde.

Mr Menem has said he is the "only man who can save Argentina" which is beset by acute economic problems.

See also:

22 Nov 01 | Americas
04 Jul 01 | Americas
07 Jun 01 | Americas
08 Jun 01 | Americas
07 Jun 01 | Americas
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes