BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Chinese Vietnamese Burmese Thai Indonesian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Asia-Pacific  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Monday, 30 September, 2002, 12:03 GMT 13:03 UK
Sydney's Mardi Gras 'saved'
Marching boys at Sydney Mardi Gras
Sydney's street party goes on...
Sydney's gay and lesbian Mardi Gras celebration may go ahead next year after all following a deal to save it from financial collapse.

Creditors on Monday backed a deal that could see the street festival's A$500,000 (US $272,000) debts paid off.

Under the rescue package, four Sydney groups took over the Mardi Gras business and will sell off assets, including props and costumes, to repay A$350,000 (US $190,000).

But the plan will depend on strong support from fundraisers and volunteers.

Paid staff are to be replaced with volunteers to organise next year's festival, and fundraising events will be held, said Michael Woodhouse, co-chairman of the New Mardi Gras.

The first fundraiser, the annual Sleaze Ball, is taking place this weekend.

Travel slump

The 25-year-old Mardi Gras started as a gay rights protest march but evolved into a massive street festival that attracts more than 120,000 visitors and brings Sydney business worth tens of millions of dollars each year.

Men display their pink costumes before the start of the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras 1995 parade in Sydney
Mardi Gras gives a huge boost to the local economy
Last year's carnival lost A$500,000 largely because of a drop in international visitors after the 11 September attacks in New York and Washington.

The state government has refused to help, saying taxpayers should not fund poor management.

An anonymous "pink knight" who had promised a A$400,000 donation, pulled out suddenly in July, forcing the festival's organisations to seek voluntary administration, the step before receivership.

The administrator, Scott Pascoe of Sims Lockwood, said the vast majority of creditors at Monday's meeting voted in favour of the new rescue package.

The New Mardi Gras board is made up of representatives from the Aids Council of New South Wales, the Sydney Pride Center, the Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby and Queer Screen.

See also:

02 Aug 02 | Asia-Pacific
03 Mar 01 | Asia-Pacific
18 Sep 00 | UK
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes