BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Chinese Vietnamese Burmese Thai Indonesian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Asia-Pacific  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Monday, 30 September, 2002, 09:23 GMT 10:23 UK
N Korean food aid 'running out'
A 14-year-old North Korean boy suffering from malnutrition lies in a bed at Chongjin city paediatric hospital in South Hamgyong province, North Korea, April 2001
Millions of North Korean children are malnourished
Millions of hungry North Korean children and elderly people are facing a halt in food aid rations unless new aid is pledged immediately, the United Nations has warned.

A slump in donations means the UN is already starting to halt grain rations to nearly three million people, including underfed primary school children.

North Korean school children have lunch at a nursery in Pochon county
The WFP is giving priority to the most vulnerable
The cut-backs will take effect over the next two months, and another 1.5 million people could lose food aid early next year.

Such cutbacks would cause "suffering on a massive scale" said Rick Corsino, country director of the UN World Food Programme (WFP).

"We're continuing to try to feed the most vulnerable of the vulnerable for as long as we possibly can and these are the youngest children," he said.

"But by November, December we are essentially going to be exhausted."

The WFP feeds about one third of North Korea's 23 million people, but donations have fallen this year amid frustration over the Communist nation's continued diplomatic isolation.

Political moves

However, there have been signs in recent weeks that North Korea is making moves to open up.

2002 donations
US: 250,000 tons
S Korea: 100,000 tons
Japan: nil
The first visit by a US delegation in two years, led by Assistant Secretary of State James Kelly, is due in Pyongyang on 3 October.

And at the end of October, Japan and North Korea are due to resume talks on normalising diplomatic relations after a two-year freeze.

Japan gave more than 500,000 tons of food aid to North Korea last year, but has not given any aid this year.

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said in March that Japan would not give aid to North Korea until it dealt with allegations that it kidnapped Japanese nationals.

Earlier this month North Korean leader Kim Jong-il admitted North Korean agents did abduct Japanese citizens in the 1970s and 80s to help train North Korean spies. The admission has cleared the way for further talks.

The US is a major aid donor to North Korea but has said more aid is conditional on reforms.

But even if more aid was to be pledged today, it would take at least two months for actual shipments of food to arrive, said Rick Corsino.

According to some Western estimates up to two million North Koreans have died of starvation and related diseases since 1996.


Nuclear tensions

Inside North Korea

Divided peninsula

TALKING POINT
See also:

27 Sep 02 | Asia-Pacific
09 Aug 02 | Asia-Pacific
17 Sep 02 | Asia-Pacific
27 Sep 02 | Asia-Pacific
05 Sep 02 | Asia-Pacific
20 Jun 02 | Asia-Pacific
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes